Posted by : Brittney Dieter /
- 2 pounds large or jumbo shrimp (shell on and thawed)
- 2 TBSP kosher salt
- 2 QT water
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 med yellow onion, diced
- 3 med cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 (2-inch) knob fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh juice of 1 lemon
- In a medium pot, combine 2 quarts water with celery, onion, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons salt, and the 2lb of shrimp. Set range top to medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until temperature reaches 170°F on an instant-read thermometer and shrimp are just cooked through; adjust heat to make sure temperature does not go over 170°F.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to zipper-lock bags, making sure not to crowd too many shrimp into each bag. Seal bags, removing as much air as possible, and submerge in ice water, moving shrimp around in each bag, until cooled. Transfer zipper-lock bags to refrigerator until shrimp are thoroughly chilled, at least 30 minutes. Peel and deveine shrimp.
- 1/2 C ketchup
- 1/2 C chili sauce
- 2 TBSP horseradish, plus more to taste
- 1 TBSP fresh juice from 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk the ketchup, chili sauce, horseradish, and lemon juice together. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with chilled shrimp.