Seven Layer Salmon Bites Will Impress Your Guests
Posted by : WFS Staff /
The holiday season is festive, full of joy, and let's face it - special. Whether you love the holidays, or just want to make it through, there are always opportunities to spend a bit more time on food that we don't eat at other times of the year.
Try this colorful appetizer that uses both smoked salmon and the seasonal Ikura! This isn't a dish for every day, but the flavors in this bite will make your taste buds come alive. Keep in mind that these need to be made in advance....plan ahead!
Seven Layer Salmon Bites
Makes 48 hors d'oeuvres Active time: 45 min Total: 1 3/4 hr Recipe adapted from Gourmet, 2006
- 10 oz whipped cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 (6- by 5-inch) oval slices dark pumpernickel sandwich bread (about 1/3 inch thick)
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced Nova smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup salmon roe (Ikura) (2 oz)
- Stir together cream cheese, zest, lemon juice, chives, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Stack bread slices, then trim to form 4 1/4- by 3 1/4-inch rectangles. Arrange rectangles in 1 layer.
- Spread each with 1 heaping tablespoon cheese mixture and top with a thin layer of smoked salmon (cut to fit with kitchen shears).
- Make 1 more layer each of cheese and salmon, then top with remaining cheese. Trim edges to make uniform and chill rectangles on a platter until tops are firm, about 1 hour.
- Cut rectangles into 8 (1 1/2- by 1-inch) pieces, then top each piece with a rounded 1/4 teaspoon roe.