Smoked Salmon Spread with Pickled Onions
Posted by : Wild For Salmon /
An easy, flavorful dip! Goes great on a bagel or crackers!
Each pack of Smoked King Salmon is about 8 ounces. This recipe calls for half a pack, but you can double the recipe for "Smoked Salmon Spread" to use the whole pack, or save the rest for adding to salads or pasta. Store the spread in a container in the refrigerator and use in 3-5 days. The spread pairs especially well with these quick-pickled onions, adding an acidic pop that cuts through the cream cheese.
- 1 (8-oz) block cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 4 oz Smoked King Salmon
- (optional) 1 tablespoon tarragon, dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly-squeezed
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
For Smoked Salmon Spread:
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to beat together the cream cheese and yogurt until you have a smooth, soft consistency.
- Break up the smoked salmon with a fork and add it to the cream cheese mixture, stirring it in until evenly distributed.
- Stir in the tarragon, lemon zest, lemon juice and black pepper.
For Quick Pickled Onions
- Add the onions, apple cider vinegar, honey and salt to a jar.
- Seal tightly with a lid. Shake vigorously.
- Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before using. Transfer to the refrigerator and use as needed for up to 6 months. The onions will get increasingly pickled and better with time.
Allergens: dairy, fish
- Featured Photo: By Emma Frisch
- Content: By Emma Frisch, cofounder of Firelight Camps and author of Feast by Firelight: Simple Recipes for Camping, Cabins, and the Great Outdoors. For more recipes, visit her at www.emmafrisch.com.