Recipe by Alaska Chef Erik Slater: "Vinaigrettes are not just for salads, and there’s way more to crab than just putting a bib on and dipping some boiled legs into melted butter. Roasting crab brings out flavors from the shell that you just can’t get from the steamer or a pot of water. There is a ton of flavor in those crustaceous shells! This dish brings the deep tones of roasted Alaska Snow crab with a smoky tease of Latin America. Win-win, I say…"
- Lime Chipotle Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
- Zest and juice from 5 limes (1/2 cup fresh lime juice)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons chipotle puree*
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups canola or olive oil
- 4 pounds Alaska Snow Crab clusters, frozen
- 1 cup (packed) chopped cilantro
Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients, except oil, in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and slowly drizzle in oil.
Crab: Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaska Snow Crab under cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Marinate crab in vinaigrette and chopped cilantro for 15 to 20 minutes, to allow flavor into shells.
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place crab on sheet tray and roast for 10 minutes, turning and basting every 4 minutes or so. Serve with Chipotle Corn Puree or Cauliflower Puree and grilled/roasted vegetables. Skip the butter!
*Canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.