- 2 slices thick cut sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 slices white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked salmon (optional substitute: canned or smoked salmon)
- 4 slices green apple
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spread each slice of bread with softened butter on one side. Place one slice buttered-side-down into the pan. Layer two slices cheese, followed by salmon, apple slices, then two more slices cheese. Top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Cover the pan and allow the sandwich to get golden brown on one side and the cheese to begin to melt. Flip the sandwich, cover again, and cook until golden on the other side and until the cheese is completely melted. Slice in half and serve.
- Steaming is a simple way to prepare sockeye salmon for grilled cheese sandwiches. If you do not have a bamboo steamer you can nestle a metal vegetable steamer basket into a pot.
- Find a pot that your steamer basket fits snugly on top of and fill halfway with water. Bring water to a boil.
- Line steamer basket with parchment paper and place salmon in steamer. Salt and pepper the salmon and add your favorite herbs and spices.
- Cover and place on top of the pot of boiling water. Steam for 7-10 minutes or until done